Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Bike Won’t Go Into Neutral? Here’s Why (& HOW TO FIX IT!)

So it started when my bike fell off its sidestand onto the left side but all the damage was cosmetic so i picked it up and drove it home. The next day i went to ride it again and my chain was binding. I already know this is my own stupid fault for not properly lubing it, however after i got that all sorted out i had much worser problems. Now it hits false neutrals between 2/3 3/4 4/5 etc. clutch It wont stay in 2nd gear or any other gear unless i hold the shiftlever up as i let out the clutch, and sometimes it will still fall out of gear as i am driving regardless.

What is False Neutral?

I've seen some other posts over the last few months with guys saying that while they were riding they shifted and got a " false neutral". I never really understood what they were talking about until the other day when i was riding my 97 f3. open I took off from a light and hammered it in first until about 50mph, then i got off the gas and clicked it a few times trying to get to 4th. Well, as soon as i let the clutch out i could hear a bunch of clanking gear noises coming from the tranny and when i reved the motor it was like it was in neutral.

I've got a false neutral between neutral and 2nd gear also the gear indicator sometimes just shows 4 regardless of which gear i am in. The bike shop said it was all due to a loose chain !!!! but the chain was at the correct adjustment anyway they had a look and the gearchange became a bit notchy and the false neutral became harder to drop into. For a day but all changedowns from 2nd go into the false neutral before i change down again to the proper neutral. The bike has 6000 miles on it and as my signature below shows i use it carefully.

How long have you owned the bike. Since new? how many miles/kilometers on the clock? are these false neutrals suddenly apparent or has it been doing this since new? it's possible there is a mechanical problem, but usually it is due to technique. First: verify you have 2-3mm play at your clutch lever. If necessary adjust to 2-3mm per the owners' manual. Second: do you always wear the same footwear when riding. Different shoes/boots change how much the shifter moves even though your technique remains the same. Once i adjusted my shifter to a new pair of boots, changing to another pair made it obvious i either needed to keep wearing the new ones, or adjust my shifter yet again.

I've accidentally shifted my sv into a 'false neutral' while accelerating (and not applying enough pressure on the shift lever) a few times, i think it's happened only when shifting from 4th to 5th gear, but it could have been from 3rd to 4th a couple times. It hasn't happened in a while, but it happened today and was a little rough, it revved pretty high in the false neutral and i immediately shifted into the right gear which was a rough/clunky shift. I know this is a very sturdy engine, but i started wondering exactly how much wear might have occurred? and if it would be smart to do an oil change now/soon, or just forget about it and maybe do an early oil change (before it hits the 3500-4000 mile mark)? the last oil change was only 1000 miles ago and i use amsoil with the suzuki oil filter.

What do you do after you have a false neutral between 5 and 6?

I'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one who is having the false neutral issue (12k miles on a 2010 tuono). Of all my bikes over the 15+ years of riding, the tuono is the only one where i have false neutral in 5-6 shifts. Popping into neutral from a 1-2 shift is something i've experienced on multiple bikes but the 5-6 is new to me. Has anyone seen a reduction of the false neutrals after installing a factory pro shift star? http://www. Af1racing. Com/store/scrip. Idproduct=8317 "factory pro evo shift star kit for '98-'03 mille, mille-r,'04-'09 rsvr, factory, '02-'05 tuono, and '06-'10 tuono featuring a more precisely machined shift star and a much stronger shift shaft return spring, this kit is a popular modification to any v990 that may be exhibiting vague shifts, especially in the upper three gears.

Posts: 1802 thank you received: 3 so i been looking at some old threads about a situation that i have. It first happened about a month and a half ago, and has happened twice since then. It is always the same thing, wot in 4th gear, once i get up there say 7 grand rpm it jumps into a "false neutral" as i have read it called, and redlines. I then shift into 5th after trying to keep the poo in my pants, and everything is fine. It has never happened in 2nd like i would expect, never in any gear but in 4th, never when cold, only when the bike is warm, and i am having some fun.

Today i went for a ride and twice i got a false neutral! not only did i get that but when i proceeded to shift into second it slammed into second! i mean it felt like i was about to drop the damn transmission! now, i did search and there was really no clear answer. It was "well it could be this or it may be that. " well i have to tell you that this is not the only bike doing it. My sv650 did the same damn thing! now is it just me? or is this a suzuki all thing?.

C130j paul said: my full throttle has more false neutrals than gears!!! i hope it's down to bedding in etc. It's almost always when changing down from 6 to 5th. I reckon 60% of down changes result in a false neutral!! not great if you're relying on the engine braking!! i've been riding bikes, from all makes, for over twenty years and have never experienced so many false neutrals so i don't believe it's all down to technique. And i don't believe all the journo's who've reported the same issue have poor technique as well. If this doesn't resolve itself soon i may consider rejecting the bike as being unsafe and unfit for purpose!! i'd like to add, i had no such problems on my 100 mile test drive which reinforces my belief these false neutrals aren't all 'technique' related.

Anyone ever get a "false neutral"?

[solved] false neutral ive done about 300 miles on my magna, which i just finished up reviving 25th of march. I always end up in false neutral between 4th and 5th, or either 3th and 4th. I cant really remember as i usually dont really count. I dont have the most violent shifting habits , because my shadow can take a light tick to easily change gears. Read some stuff on the net about false neutrals and am somewhat reassured. I thought id come in and ask anyway : am i having an issue with my gears or do i just have a pusillanimous foot ?.

Had a false neutral between 3rd and 4th on previous lap. Upshifted normally for a straightaway, then apparently the transmission downshifted 1 gear for turn sequences. I swear i downshifted twice. Discovered i was in a gear too tall, and initially thought i neglected to downshift that 2nd time. I rode it out and just let the bike chug through the turns and when it came time to hit another straight, no more gears. Looked down and shift lever is way below normal position. No physical damage to the shift lever or linkage. Clutch works fine as i pitted and shut it down.

Hi everyone, i’m now riding my cbr650r for 2 months with about 2600ish km. I noticed that i have issues shifting down when having clutch pulled. So basicly i hit some kind of false neutral i guess. But my gear-indicator on screen does not show any gear, it just says: (--), anyone of you also notices this or is this normal? also i got quite some false neutrals while shifting in the higher revs, but i guess this could be because i somehow did not pull/push the gear lever enough to get it in. Also my 3rd gear seems to be a bit more.

Been reading about the false neutral that the 5 speed fxrs have. Shifting is overall pretty "crunchy",and though i did adjust the shifter pawl, i am still getting the false neutral and experiencing other annoying shifting issues. I know that harley transmissions clunk into gear but even coming from a 4 speed it is still disconcerting. Wondering what i need to fix this. New baker shift drum/shift forks? maybe you need to adapt to the tranny. I think about every shift. Easier than "osh!t". It ain't my slick shifting sportster, but still makes me clutch, cable & lever all adjusted and lubed.

False neutral in 5th and 6th gear

I've just started experiencing a similair issue. After an oil change, my 2nd gear pops into neutral during moderate-hard acceleration. I have to jam it back into 2nd or sometimes 3rd. I overfilled the oil a bit, which may or not be an attributing factor. Going to drain a bit out tommorrow. But more than likely i think one of my shifting forks might be fubar'd. Seems a few other bikes (haven't heard any other fz's though) have shift fork issues starting around 30kmiles. I'm at 32. 2k. The only other thing it could be is the 2nd gear pinion (dog) might be worn out but i doubt it.

This could be my fault, but when i clutchless shift into second under hard acceleration, my bike will sometimes go into neutral, causing my engine to redline, and it just about shoots me over the handlebars. This has happened during the absolute worst times, for instance- 1) beating my friend's gsxr1000 by about a half a bike length and lost 2) keeping even with a modified zx12 and lost because of that 2nd gear shift 3) pulling a "roll-on" wheelie and almost crashing because the bike slammed down at about 80mph i've heard that i might not be clicking up hard enough on the lever, causing the tranny to not be fully engaged.

It's when you really aren't in neutral (between gears 1 and 2) but the bike thinks you are. Neutral light turns on and everything sig compliments of buddyluv "people always think that the start of the race is something terrible, that your heart beats like mad, that your brain is about to explode but it’s a totally unreal moment, it is like a dream, like entering another world. Your spirit goes and the body sets itself free. When you accelerate there is only one thing that matters, not to fall behind, to take the lead. Really the most beautiful moment is the moment when the light turns red.

Hi there. I have an '82 gpz550. I'm not sure if the shift sequence is different than mine, but i have, on occasion, accidently dropped into neutral from 3rd just by not pulling the gearshift up hard enough. I'm pretty sure i can put the gpz into neutral from any gear just by pulling the gearshift up half a click. The only way i know of how to get to 1st is by sequentially down-shifting. Life is a highway. Live every minute of it on two wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment